19 January 2011

The Follow-Up

So, yesterday's post has generated some conversation, both on the internets and in some face to face discussions I had today at school.

Some of those thoughts are getting plugged into a different post (which is mostly about squirrels, but has some thoughts about what we want schools to do, and how that changes how we want schools to treat children). But for today, I'm going to share 11 minutes of youtube with you.

I think that Sir Ken Robinson says a lot of good things. However, I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think that we can afford to throw out the proverbial baby with the bathwater. I don't think that we should change schools so much that they lose their socialization function. It's important to note that Robinson is talking mostly about British education, and British education doesn't have to function as a place where all children learn a shared history; this is something that American schools must do because of a lack of hegemony in American culture. (and yes, English snobs, I know that last sentence was exceptionally convoluted). If we want members of society to have a common set of basic morals, history, and points of reference, schools must perform that function.

Should we change the way we teach to reach more creative students? Yes. But there is danger in wholesale change. 


As usual, I'm willing to admit that I don't know the answer, but I think we need to spend more time, as people and as a nation, examining the question.

Anyway, the video:


1 comment:

  1. Wow, some good points. I have been thinking of the "date of manufacture" idea for a few months now. What if we group kids by ability, not age? Some social problems obvious come up, (Seniors in class with 6th graders. God I hope they don't date.) but they would all be on the same level as far as learning specific concepts.\

    I am learning about structured language immersion right now. This is the process that Arizona uses to teach students that do not have English as their first language. They group on English reading, verbal, and written skills not based on age. From my experience in an Arizona Middle School, the students in the SEI program are starting to understand the language, and are starting to understand the content of their classes. I can actually see them "catching up" and being on grade level.

    Maybe if every subject was taught that way...

    I am learning about structured language immersion right now. This is the process that Arizona uses to teach students that do not have English as their first language. They group on English reading, verbal, and written skills, not on age. From my experience in an Arizona Middle School, the students in the SEI program are understadning the language, and are starting to understand the content of their classes. I can actually see them "catching up" and being on grade level.

    Maybe if every subject was taught that way...

    ReplyDelete