15 August 2011

Some things just never change

As most of you know, I'm in the second week at my brand new school (which is not as new as my old school, since the new school was built in 1967 to replace the building from 1923 and the old school was built in 2008). You know what, let's call them my previous school and my current school.

Anyway, as I was teaching one of my freshman classes, I realized that this was the 10th year of teaching for me. That realization made me realize how little changes from place to place. And thus, I compiled a list of truths that I think are true across education.

I hold these truths to be self-evident: 

1. No single human is ever more scared than the smallest freshman boy, still waiting for that growth spurt, on the first day of high school.

2. Students all want to pass on the first day. It goes down hill from there.

3. Kids will look their best on the first day of school. 

4. It takes about a week for them to stop looking their best because it's too much work in the morning. 

5. Every year, kids will be confused about why the student parking lot is empty. They always wonder where all the cars that were there last year went. 

6. Every single kid will groan when you give them work on the first day.

7. Putting a parent signature line on a syllabus for Seniors is basically getting the forged signature ahead of time.

8. Putting a parent signature line on a syllabus for Freshmen is actually getting parent signatures.

9. Somebody is going to test you on the first or second day. Crush them.

10. If a freshman girl is *ahem* endowed  *ahem* she will do 1 of 2 things. Hide herself under rock and roll T-shirts or hang 'em out. There is no middle ground here.

11. Freshman boys will look. No matter what the girls wear. 

12. Nothing smells worse than a freshman boy after gym.

13. No kid will admit that they came to the wrong class. You will be forced to look at their schedule and see that, in fact, they came to the wrong class.

14. The smartest kids say the least, until they know you.

15. Every single person in a school, from janitors to kids to the principal is counting.

Got more to add? Put 'em in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment